The New Lumifold TB is an innovative 3D printer designed to be compact and transportable. Using an iPad Tablet as light source, the New LumiFold has a resolution on xy axis of 78 microns. The tablet is inserted under the resin vat, under a Fep film. An App processes the 3D file. Once it is ready, you just click start: the 3D printer, connected via Bluetooth to the iPad, will move up each time that a layer has been cured thanks to the light emitted by the screen.
This was a one-man-band project that started in 2014.
- I had the original idea of a portable resin-based 3d Printer, based on scissor – jack mechanism to keep it as compact as possible
- I designed the mechanical mechanism that made it possible
- I did all the mechanical design on Solidworks for all the 6 iterations
- I wrote the patent application for the mechanical system (WO2017090069A1)
- I designed the electronics (including a flexible Oled for showing the 3D Printer status), assembled the PCBs, wrote the firmware
- I developed an iPad App that could open the 3d model, slice it, project the corresponding layers, connect via Bluetooth to the main PCB of the 3D Printer, and speak to announce 3d Printing progress and battery status
- I assembled the prototypes and tested them, until I got a working prototype.